Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ten Things Every Man Should Own - #9

I was a reluctant latecomer to both mobile phones and other such devices. However, I jumped on the e-reader bandwagon in 2011, and have not had a moment's regret! I was skeptical about the idea of reading a book off an electronic device (a book IS made of paper, is it not?) At the risk of being a sell-out, I bought a Kindle Keyboard 3rd gen ($99), with wireless (not the 3G).

Here are the top 10 reasons YOU need a Kindle!

  1. Good for old eyes . Unlike a paper book, you can adjust text size and spacing. I find Kindle’s E Ink technology easier to read than a paper book.
  2. Save space. I have many, many books....and they are heavy. I had so many I donated a good portion of them to the library. Now I have 400 books on my Kindle, and it takes up very little space.
  3. Save money. Books are expensive, but Kindle titles tend to be cheaper than paper books. There are countless thousands of books one can get for FREE, either from Amazon or elsewhere...get books in the public domain, or borrow from a friend.
  4. Improve your vocabulary. Highlight a word while reading, and access two built in dictionaries! Never find yourself guessing at the meaning of a word.
  5. Sample Kindle books for free. Before buying a book, you can have a sample chapter sent to your Kindle free of charge. You can also have a friend loan you a Kindle book for a 14 day period.
  6. Great for multitasking. With the Kindle’s trim design, you can read during activities that would otherwise be wasted. I love to use my Kindle when I’m on the treadmill, stationary bicycle or other such exercise drudgery, The Kindle can also be read one-handed.
  7. Some Kindles can read to you. The Kindle can play audio books, but you can also make it read many of your standard Kindle books. The robotic voice takes a bit of getting used to.
  8. You can play games. I don't play games, but they do have chess, Scrabble and things like that.
  9. The battery charge lasts ages! Most electronic devices need to be constantly recharged...I often only charge my Kindle once a month, even though I use it every day!
  10. Amazon has great customer service. Nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment