Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ten Things Every Man Should Own - #10


The Casio G-Shock has been a standard for men who need dependable, hard-use goods, since their debut in the mid-1980s. These durable and rugged watches have adorned the hands of a wide range of people, from Olympic athletes, to the Special Forces soldiers of "Black Hawk Down". These watches also have a large collector's following.

I like the watches because they are affordable, simple enough to use (although feature-heavy), and durable. The watch face is pretty hard to scratch, and I wear my watch ALL the time, and tend to stick my hands in dark dirty places where more fragile watches dare not go. My only criticism of the G-Shock is that it boasts a proprietary sized band...your average off the shelf band will not fit without a special adapter. The G-Shock is sold with a fairly decent silicon rubber band. I am hard on my watch bands, but this one is in great shape after having it a year, and I cannot see any cracks as would appear with other "rubber" watch bands. On a side note, the only watch band brand I trust are those made by Maratac Zulu.

My favorite G-Shock is the solar powered model with atomic clock synchronization. In addition to G-Shock's near bullet-proof design, the solar/atomic model never needs batteries. It is also able to receive the radio signal that keeps it in tune with the world's most accurate clock. No more fumbling with buttons to switch to Daylight Savings.

The watch also has a few different lap timers and things like that which I don't fully understand. It will also light up in the dark, a la Indiglo (thanks Timex), and has an alarm clock.

Check Amazon for prices and options.

No comments:

Post a Comment